Saturday, October 6, 2012

Twelve Year Olds and Smut

So I usually read my manga online because I'm a cheapskate college student unlike my dear friend, sylphalchemist, who buys her books to review, takes the pictures herself, and translates them (yeah she's a badass). And I find I don't really pay attention to the tags attached to Shoujo. Out of all the past manga I've reviewed, only Crush on You was tagged with Shounen Ai. Apparently I have the instincts of a BL hound dog. I sniff that shit out.

I sat down, pondering what manga I've read that doesn't have BL, and I realized that the most ridiculous ones that belong to this blog are the ones that do. This does not include crossdressing heroines with mistaken BL, the gay side characters, and BL-centric shoujos. There's just something about merging heroines with BL that turns it into a sixty minute awkward pause where you try to stop, but you can't because like a common bystander, you want to watch that train wreak hit the wall.

Renai Shinjuu is one such manga. I read it earlier this year probably while waiting for a friend (the kind who you've hung out with but haven't fully let out all your inner nerd). And it was bad. That friendship didn't last long. Oh and manga was terrible.


Granted, the author wasn't a pedo and luckily there were no soul-damning scenes, but it opens to the two main characters frenching. Two main characters who are also twelve years old. And reading this the second time around, I can only hope that I wasn't paying attention the first time because my mind was dead from exams.

Ren and Runa, already in their rebellious stage, sneak around to kiss even though Runa's afraid her mom would find out. She thinks what they're doing is so bad that she tells Ren about it during his basketball game.

H'okay, Mr. Twelve Year Old and Future Rapist.
Then he slam dunks a basketball (which is highly unrealistic unless the net's only five feet off the ground or he's got Flubber in his shoes) and tells Runa he loves her. And that's good enough for Runa! They go make out some more on the school roof top. Runa's mom shows up to break it up.

Runa's mom: Da hell, you guys are still children! Come on, Runa! Get away from that boy. We're leaving! Both of you are playing a dangerous game!
Runa: But I want to do bad things with Ren.

And if Runa's mom wasn't having a heart attack right now, Ren gives Runa's mom the stink eye. "Do you want to know whether or not this is a game? I will show you! Close your eyes, Runa." And they jump off the roof.
"Or for the love of--you stupid children! Red Bull does not give you wings!"
Runa wakes up in the hospital. Her parents are understandably very angry and freaking out. Doctor's smiling, "Good thing that grass cushioned her fall." Immediately, Runa asks where Ren is. Her mom snaps. "You love him that much? You want to see your mom die? That's it! You want to see your mom die!" And Runa's dad has to calm her down. Runa cries but says nothing.

She feels bad for making her mom cry. But later, slips out of her room to find Ren, see if he's doing okay because it looks like he hit the ground first. And she eventually she does find his room.

That moon is humongous! Someone call NASA. It's time to Instagram!
Runa's all sorts of confused. Dude's got the same face as her suicidal boyfriend.

Dude with same face as Ren who I'd assume was his twin if this wasn't Shoujo: Your mother's wrong, Runa. Ren's totally serious about you. I mean, he just tried to commit a lover's suicide. Romeo and Juliet crap. We're all only twelve but if jumping off the roof doesn't spell love, I don't know what does.

Runa hugs her bunny tighter.

Hoping he's not an evil clone dude: Oh and btw, I love Ren more than you do and don't want to be separated from him. If he dies, I die. So fuq you, I won't let you have him at any cost!

Runa cries because she's twelve and a typical Shoujo heroine. And the Ren look alike apologizes for scaring her (dear god, he's one of those characters who is so obviously not right in the head), and explains that since Ren has a leg fracture, he'll be staying at the hospital for a while. But don't worry, he'll be there to take care of him.
First chapter and already into twelve year old gay incest.
Runa calls her dad on the phone because there's a "devil" who looks just like Ren in his room. Dad's probably shaking his head, tells her to calm down and that her mom's coming by to see her. He'll come by to see Runa later too. Runa tells him to hurry because she's worried about her mom and Ren.

Then this shit happens:
But--your daughter's not even dead yet!
I've done a lot of crap that has given my mom her beautiful silver mane and have heard "You're killing me" quite a number of times. But I can't ever imagine a parent going through with something like this. Especially in front of her twelve year old daughter. A girl who impulsively decided to jump off the roof because her boyfriend said so.

Scene switches back to Ren and his twin whose name turns out to be Takumi. He wakes up and Takumi's so happy that he's conscious that he hugs and kisses him. In the mouth. Wow. Then there's a page where it contrasts the incest panel and Runa crying over her mother's body. Mom gets her own hospital room and apologizes for traumatizing her daughter. And then dad pulls the weirdest ultimatum--who does she prefer, her parents or Ren? The hell?

She's twelve and her mom just tried to commit suicide. She chooses her parents. Dad's happy. "Oh don't worry, we're going to leave this city and forget about everything." While Runa's reminiscing about all the good times she had with Ren, Ren rolls by in his wheelchair. He's sorry for what happened. He did it because he's crazy for her (I think he's just crazy). Dad interrupts them.
"Get back demon spawn! Crawl back into your pig mother's womb!"
Her dad demands that Ren stay out of their lives for good. And Takumi pops in to wheelchair his brother away. "Sorry for the trouble my brother's caused. I'll make sure to keep them separated as well." Runa and her father turn to leave.

But wait! Ren dramatically tries to leap out of his wheelchair. Takumi holds him back. Two nurses come over to stop the two from fighting. Runa tries to go back to Ren but her father scoops her in his arms and walks away. Ren's crying and Takumi has the scariest troll face.
"This is what happens when you eat hospital jello!"
And this is about where I stopped the first time I read this. It fast forwards to high school where Runa's having sex with her new boyfriend, and later scolding her boyfriend for almost making them late for school (it makes me wonder what the hell happened to her parents). And she discovers Ren transferred to her school.

I'm scolding my past self from five months ago. I don't think I read the summary. Or I was just really, really bored. Out of curiosity, I skipped around the manga. Like what happened to Ren's twin?

I get to a part where her female best friend is also "in love" with Runa (well that explains the shoujo ai tag) and she gets into a pretend relationship with Ren...I don't know anymore.

Some series you just have to close the tab as quickly as you can before you get sucked into reading stupidity for hours. Or get a life. Oh social life, how I miss you.

Credits: Sound of Jewels

6 comments:

  1. what....what....WHAT da faq did I just read?


    @_@

    But then I read a manga abt a 6th grade boy trying to seduce an High school junior girl. I decided not to continue with that story for the sake of my sanity. My friend informed me later that that mangaka has other stories about a younger boy and older girl. I guess the age gap isn't that big....but....

    And I think I've read some of her works, b/c the art for "Renai Shinjuu" looks familiar.

    Neve, this post was indeed an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of curiosity I skipped around again. It gets worse. Takumi uses voodoo to curse Runa. Ugh...and Runa kisses her female best friend. >_>;

      If you want a cute story that has a younger boy with an older girl, I recommend MeruPuri.

      Yeah she has other works but I don't think I've read any of them.

      Thanks, I try to post the most absurd moments in Shoujo.

      Delete
    2. Someone, quick! CALL CHILD SERVICES!!! Or Warehouse 13 agents!! Or the Winchester boys!!! or Castiel!!! Some bad $hit is about to go down with these children.

      Cute? Oh~ I might like cute. I don't mind age gaps...usually. It's when it crosses the line of creepy, I have to step back and be "Whoa, buddy, calm your hooves. You have some time. Grow up a little before you stick your tongue down her throat. Be a kid. PLAY IN MUD. You can't do that stuff when you're older, it's like socially not acceptable or something."

      I JUST FIGURED OUT TO SUBSCRIBE TO COMMENTS. THIS IS AWESOME.


      so, you might find me just ....commenting...uncomfortably frequent.

      Delete
    3. Or all of the above. Skipping around Part 2, it's super weird that the parents only appear every now and then. It appears that Takumi's just ridiculously crazy. Like where are his guardians to put a lock down on that? And then the rest of the characters are typical horny teenagers.

      Sometimes the author writes a story so well that I forget how bad it is or I don't mind so much. And you've got that right about it being socially not acceptable. I was a mostly serious kid and now I'm a very immature adult. I think of so many things now that you just can't get away with in the adult world.

      I'm always happy to read your comments. I have no problems with that. xD

      Delete
  2. Haha, dude, the only reason I buy manga is because I need the practice ~ (and because I kinda don't like scans too much. I've read too many where the translations were just awkward and it drove me away. I only read scans from select groups now...)

    And, dude, you find the BL-ish shojos because usually when the guys are drawn nice...BL is near. It's just...a given .___.

    Now, to the reading!

    ~

    Okay...wtf is up with the troll face!? D8 It's like...so distracting!!!! You see Ren throwing his feels out there and then you look behind him and see his brother like...fucking staring off into the distance with a HELL YEAH IMMA GONNA EAT YOUR LEGS AND RAPE YOUR STUMPS look on his face, mouth open like he's trying to catch a watermelon being hurled at him... >__< THE HELL!?

    I was so interested in seeing how the series ended that I went to check out the scans. Welp, turns out it hasn't yet. Instead, the latest chapter turned out to be hardcore yuri. Main chick tells her gay bff, hey teach me all the things Ren did to you when you guys fucked each other ~ 8D Let's kiss and hug and yeah!

    Me: o__o; dah fuq!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason handsome muscled men mostly exist in BL. *tears* I like the feminine men just as much though. xD

      That is a very disturbing picture. Stumps are my weakness. I feel sick thinking about stumps. Oh and cannibalism too--though not as much because I've been desensitized with all the cartoons and tv shows that portray cannibalism in a funny way.

      That watermelon image reminded me of snakes eating things ten times bigger than them...daaaaaamn.

      I skipped around and saw that chapter. They're all sluts. That's the only explanation. Based on the Shounen Ai tag, soon there will be BL sluttery too.

      Delete